Tuesday, September 4, 2012

3 Layer Crochet Flower

This is my go-to flower pattern.  I use the flowers on hats, bags, hair clips, and so much more.  They look great on the new water bottle Kozies, and coffee Kozies, too!
Swirls and Sprinkles: Free crocheted 3 layer flower pattern
Crochet flower
Crocheted 3 Layer Flower

What you will need:
H hook
Worsted weight yarn


Ch 5 sl st to first ch to make ring.

Round 1:  Ch1 sc into ring, ch 3, sc into ring. (formed first petal space) [ch 3, sc into ring] repeat 3 more times for a total of 5 petal spaces.  Sl st into ch 1 at the beginning of the round.

Round 2: [sc into petal space, ch 1, 3 dc, ch 1, sc.] All into first petal space.
Repeat in each petal space around.  Sl st into first sc.
5 front petals made.

Round 3: ch 1, working from the back of the flower, sc around post between petals.  [Ch 4, sc around next post between petals]  repeat 4 more times for a total of 5 petal spaces.  Sl st into first sc.

Round 4: [sc into petal space, ch 1, 5 dc, ch 1, sc] All into first petal space. 
Repeat in each petal space around.  Sl st into first sc.
5 middle petals made.

Round 5: ch1, working again from the back of the flower, sc around post between middle petals. [Ch 5, sc around next post between petals]  repeat 4 more times for a total of 5 petal spaces.  Sl st into first sc.

Round 6: [sc into petal space, ch 1, 7 dc, ch 1, sc] All into first petal space.
Repeat in each petal space around.  Sl st into first sc.
5 back petals made.
Finish off and weave in ends.  If you are going to attach the flower leave long tail.

24 comments:

  1. very cute. did you make them with worsted or cotton?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I love the flowers!! What does it mean to work from the back of the flower? Can you please explain? Do I turn the flower so that I am facing the wrong side? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The way I do it, I don't turn the flower around. I work around the "post" between the petals like I am doing a back post double crochet.
      You could turn your flower around to make the chaining spaces, but you will need to turn the flower back around before you make your petals, so the right side of the petal is showing.
      Actually, turning the flower for the chaining, isn't a bad idea, especially if you aren't comfortable with working bpdc's!

      Delete
  3. Love them, they are so cute !!! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. about how big do they turn out to be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT! A flower, thank you for the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am using a g hook and they are comming out really cute.I am making a bunch of them in multi-color(red,purple,orange)to give away at our next Red Hat lunchen.They will be so cuts on hats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great idea love this flower pattern and about how big will this flower be when finished

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are about 4 1/2ish inches across. Depends on your yarn and tension. I tend to crochet on the loose side.

      Delete
  8. Love these any idea how i can make them tiny for a newborn bootie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try going down a couple hook sizes and use fingerling or sport weight yarn. You could also just do the first 2 layers if they are still a bit too big.
      I have some lighter yarn on hand. I will try to make time to work one up today and let you know how it works out!

      Delete
  9. These are very cute! your pattern sews up fast, and it was very easy to read. I have tried others....muff said. love them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am always so happy to hear when someone enjoys one of my patterns.

      Delete
  10. LOVE this pattern!!! I have been crocheting for over 10 years, but until recently, never used or read a pattern! This pattern is very easy to read even for a "beginner" like me! What is the easiest/best way to attach these to a hat or headband? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I try really hard to make my patterns easy to read. I appreciate the feedback.
      There are a couple of ways that I use to attach the flowers. One way is on an alligator clip. I use hot glue and ribbon to line the clip and then I glue the flower to the top of the clip.
      Another popular way is with a button. I sew a button directly onto the hat. That way you can switch the flowers to match the outfit.
      You could also attach a button to the flower, but I find attaching it to the hat to be better. When the hat is worn without a flower you can just hide the button in one of the stitches.
      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  11. Just finished the flower pattern and it was easy and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these! I would love to add one to a hat I am making, but I am having trouble finding a way to print the picture and instructions without all the stuff on the sides.

    ReplyDelete