Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Simple Scarf Pattern

This is a crochet scarf that I have been making for a couple of years.  It works up really quickly and is easy to make.  It looks really great, too!  The scarf makes a great Christmas gift!  I know I am making one for my daughter in her favorite color.  I have already made a couple for myself as well!
Enjoy!!

                                          
Swirls and Sprinkles:  Free crochet pattern.  Simple scarf
Simple scarf in orange
Swirls and Sprinkles: Free crochet pattern.  Simple scarf
Simple scarf in plum

You may not change or sell my patterns in part or in whole.  You may sell your finished product, but I ask that you give credit for the pattern by linking back to me.

Simple Scarf


Worsted Weight yarn
I hook


Abbreviations
Ch-Chain
DC-Double Crochet
ST- Stitch
Ch 2 does not count as a stitch.

Row 1: Ch 18, dc in 3rd ch from hook and each ch across, turn.  (16dc)
Row 2-End: Ch 2, dc in each st across.  (16dc)
Continue Row 2 until the scarf is the length you would like.  I usually make my scarves about 60 inches long.

If you want to give the scarf a bit more of a finished look you can add tassels to the ends of the scarf.

26 comments:

  1. Great pattern, can't wait to start on it! Quick question, how do you do the tassels?

    - Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of adding instructions for the tassels! I am so glad you asked. I will get something put together to explain how to add the tassels. Hopefully, I will be able to have it added by the end of the day.

      Delete
  2. How do you get that shadow or ripple look? I am fairly new to crocheting and like the look but cant seem to gat it to look that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get the ripple look by crocheting in back loop of the stitches.
      You know how on top of the stitches, the stitch looks like a sideways V? Instead of inserting your hook through both loops of the stitch, you only use the back loop.
      Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. that is what I thought. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Did you do the ripple look on every row? Or every other?

      Did you ever say how to do the fringe?
      Thank you

      Delete
  3. Awesome pattern. I can't wait to start it. I am making a scarf for my sister-in-law for a thank you for letting us stay at her house when we visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this just one skein?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Actually it used up less than a skein. I can't remember exactly how much I had left when I was finished, but it definitely didn't use a whole skein.

      Delete
    2. how many yards in your skein?
      so new at this!!

      Delete
    3. I used 1 skein of Hobby Lobby's "I love this yarn". Their solids colors are approx 355 yards. :)

      Delete
  5. Hey! So I'm taking the 13in13 challenge, and have created a blog shadowing these efforts. One of the thirteen goals is crocheting, and this scarf is my new goal!

    And believe it or not, a very ambitious one. I just learned to chain stitch for my wedding in May for a ceremony element.

    If you're interested, the blog is http://www.13inthirteen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love making scarfs, you can never have too many :)
    Thank you for sharing the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  7. to get the ripple look is it one row regular dc and one row in the back loop. I have made several in the dc with fringe but this look is better. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every row is done in the back loop. That is how you get the ripple look. :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing the pattern and responding, I'll try it. And to Angel any crochet book will teach you how to do the fringe, tassel, or pompom or try You Tube.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great pattern thank you ofr sharing can i ask does it use UK or US crochet terms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are very welcome for the pattern. All of my patterns use US terms. :)

      Delete
  10. How many skeins of yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What size crochet hook did you use for this pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Going to make one now can't wait

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the scarf as much as I do. :) Happy Crocheting!!

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for this pattern. I crochet scarfs for our church giving tree each year, and I will include this pattern in the group. I have made afghans using the same "back loop only" ripple pattern", using Home Spun yarn and they are soft and lovely. All the people I give them to love them. I also make them for different charities, for their gift raffle table each year. Again thanks for sharing your pattern.

    ReplyDelete