Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My Favorite Elf Hat

This was one of the first items I made up on my own, back when selling was my focus.  I think it is still my favorite hat to make and wear.  I will be making a few new ones this year.  I have the pattern listed as child 3-10, though the hat easily fits me, as well.  Really I think it's more of a one size fits most.  Gotta love a mostly universal pattern!  :)

Look how little my girlie is, in this picture!  Picture was taken a couple years ago.
Swirls and Sprinkles: Crochet My Favorite Elf Pattern
My Favorite Elf Hat
You may not copy, change, or sell my patterns in part or in whole.  You may sell your finished product, but I ask that you give credit for the pattern by linking back to me.

What you will need:
I hook
Worsted Weigh Yarn (4 weight)
Scissors
Yarn needle



Abbreviations
Hdc= Half Double Crochet
Sc= Singe Crochet
Sl st= Slip Stitch
** = repeat
This hat can be made in a single color.  I prefer 2 colors.  If 2 colors are used, attach new color every 2 rounds. 
Swirls and Sprinkles: My Favorite Crochet Elf Hat Pattern
Elf Hat

Round 1: Chain 2, 8 hdc in second chain from hook.  Sl st in top of first hdc.
Round 2:  Chain 1, 1 hdc in each stitch around.  Sl st in top of first hdc.  8 hdc
Round 3-23: Chain 1, 1 hdc in each stitch around. Sl st.   8 hdc
Round 24: Chain 1 1 hdc in first 7 stitches.  2 hdc in last stitch.  Sl st.  9 hdc
Round 25: Chain 1, 1 hdc in first 5 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch, hdc in next 4 stitches. Sl st.  11 hdc
Round 26: Chain 1, 1 hdc in each stitch around.  Sl st.  11 hdc.
Round 27: Chain 1, 1 hdc in first 6 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch, 1 hdc in next 5 stitches.  Sl st.  13 hdc.
Round 28: Chain 1, 1 hdc in each stitch around.  Sl st.  13 hdc.
Round 29: Chain 1, 1 hdc in  first 7 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch, 1 hdc in next 6 stitches.  Sl st.  15 hdc.
Round 30: Chain 1, 1 hdc in each stitch around.  Sl st.  15 hdc.
Round 31: Chain 1, 1 hdc in first 8 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch, 1 hdc in next 7 stitches.  Sl st.  17 hdc.
Round 32: Chain 1, 1 hdc in each stitch around.  Sl st.  17 hdc.
Round 33: Chain 1, 1 hdc in first 9 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch, 1 hdc in next 8 stitches.  Sl st. 19 hdc.
Round 34: Chain 1, 1 hdc in each stitch around.  Sl st.  19 hdc.
Round 35: Chain 1, 1 hdc in first 4 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch, 1 hdc in next 3 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch, 1 hdc in next 4 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch, 1 hdc in next 2 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch, 1 hdc in next 3 stitches. Sl st.  24 hdc
Round 36: Chain 1, 1 hdc each stitch around.  Sl st.   24 hdc.
Round 37: Chain 1, *2 hdc in first stitch, 1 hdc in next 3 stitches*.  Sl st.  30 hdc.
Round 38: Chain 1, 1hdc each stitch around. Sl st.  30 hdc.
Round 39: Chain 1, *2 hdc in first stitch, hdc in next 4 stitches*.  Sl st.  36 hdc 
Round 40: Chain 1, 1 hdc each stitch around.  Sl st.  36 hdc.
Round 41: Chain 1, *2 hdc in first stitch, 1 hdc in next 5 stitches*.   Sl st.  42 hdc
Round 42: Chain 1, 1 hdc each stitch around.  Sl st.  42 hdc
Round 43: Chain 1, *2 hdc in first stitch, 1 hdc in next 6 stitches*.  Sl st.  48 hdc.
Round 44: Chain 1, 1hdc each stitch around.  Sl st.  48 hdc.
Round 45: Chain 1, *2 had in first stitch, 1 hdc in next 7 stitches*.  Sl st.  54 hdc
Round 46: Chain 1, 1 hdc each stitch around.  Sl st.  54 hdc.
Round 47- 54: Chain 1, 1 hdc each stitch around.  Sl st.  54 hdc
Round 55: Chain 1, Reverse sc each stitch around.  Sl st.  54 reverse sc.
Finish off.  Make a pom pom and attach to the top of the hat.

10 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I will make this hat for my 8 yo son. Thank you for sharing this free pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What size hook did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starting with increases in row 24, the instructions add one stitch, but in row 25 instructions list one increase but at end of row the # of stitches are 2 more than the previous row. Where did u add the 2nd stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, I never noticed. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention!
      I placed the second extra stitch about halfway through the round. When I get a chance, I will go back and adjust the pattern. :)

      Delete
  4. Just finished making one for my daughter's goddaughter and it looks very cute. Thank you very much for the pattern. Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the pattern. Merry Christmas to you. too! :)

      Delete
  5. If I do not want quite as long a "tail" do you think I could jump to the instructions for Row 24 after about a dozen rows? Thanks!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would work out just fine! I bet it would be really cute a bit shorter, too. :)

      Delete