Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Letter L Block

I was busy this weekend, making letter blocks to spell out my kids' names.  I am going to hang the blocks in their bedrooms.  I think they turned out really well.  :)
Here are a couple of pictures
Swirls and Sprinkles: free crochet L block pattern
Blocks in progress
Swirls and Sprinkles: free crochet letter L block pattern
Finished blocks (Thunder Up!)
Before the borders, the blocks measure 6 inches.  To border my daughter's, I did a sc around and then shells.  For my son's I did a sc and then rev-sc.
They work up pretty quickly and the project possibilities are endless.  Wall hangings, blankets, bags, banners...
I am so happy with how the blocks turned out that I am going to work up patterns for the whole alphabet.  :)  I am going to start with the letter L.  It is simple and quick.  I would LOVE LOVE LOVE some feedback about the pattern and how your blocks turn out.
I plan on posting about 5-6 letters at a time. I am working on the written patters for a couple more letters and should have the first batch ready this week.  :)

Letter L
Letter block L
 You may not copy, change, or sell my patterns in part or in whole.  You may sell your finished product, but I ask that you give credit for the pattern by linking back to me



What you will need:
H hook
Worsted weight yarn
Scissors
Yarn needle

Abbreviations:
ch-chain
st/st's-stitch/stitches
sc-single crochet

Letter L grid
I made the grid as a visual guide.  White squares=sc, red squares=bobble+

+Special stitch Bobble
+++Bobble stitch:  *yo, insert hook, pull up loop* 4 times, yo and draw through all the loops on your hook.
Ch 22
Row 1:  Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across.  Ch 1, turn (21sc)
Row 2-3:  sc in each st across.  Ch 1, turn
Row 4: sc in first 3 st’s, *bobble in next st, sc in next st*, repeat 7 times, sc in last 2 st’s  Ch 1,  turn.(8bobbles, 13sc)
Row 5 and each odd row through 17: sc in each st across.  Ch 1, turn  (21sc)
Row 6: sc in first 3 st’s, *bobble, in next st, sc in next st* repeat 7 times, sc in last 2 st’s.  Ch 1, turn (8bobbles, 13sc)
Rows 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 18: sc in first 3 st’s, bobble in next st, sc in next st, bobble in next st, sc in remaining st’s across.  Ch 1, turn. (2bobbles, 19sc)
Rows 19-21: sc in each st across.   (21sc)
If you are not using this color to border, fasten off and weave in ends.



For my L block I bordered in a different color.  Here is what I did:  Attach yarn to the last st worked, ch 1, and sc around being sure to work 2 sc's in the first and last stitch of each side (corners).  Once I sc'd around the square I ch'd 1, and reverse sc'd around the square.  Fastened off and weaved in my ends.


No comments:

Post a Comment