Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Turtle Power

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have returned.  My son LOVES them!  I was trying to figure out some things that I could make him for Christmas.  For some reason, I have a harder time coming up with things for him, than I do for my daughter.  Let's face it, little girls are easier.  Anything pink, purple, flower, or frilly will do.  My son is harder to impress.  I am thinking that something TMNT will be a hit.  I decided to make him a set of 4 (there are 4 tmnt's after all) coffee Kozies.  Obviously, he doesn't drink coffee, but he brings a water bottle to school every day.  Why not make it a little fun by sliding a Kozie on there?!

I sat down with my hook case and yarn and this is what I came up with:

Swirls and Sprinkles: Free TMNT cup Kozie crochet pattern
TMNT Cup Kozie
You may not change or sell my patterns in part or in whole.  You may sell your finished product, but I ask that you give credit for the pattern by linking back to me.

What you will need:
H hook
G hook
F hook
Yarn (green, orange, red, purple, blue, white, and black)
Scissors
Yarn needle



Abbreviations:
ch-chain
sc-single crochet
sl st- slip stitch
st-stitch
hdc-half double crochet
rsc-reverse singe crochet

Starting with H hook and green yarn
Ch 28, join with first ch to form ring.
Round 1-3: ch 1, hdc in each st around.  Join with first hdc.  (28 hdc)
Switch to mask color you are using
Round 4: ch 1, hdc in each st around .  Join with first hdc.  (28 hdc)
Round 5: ch 1, [hdc in next 13 st's, 2 hdc in next st.] Repeat 1 more time.  (30 hdc)
Round 6:: ch 1, hdc in each st around.  Join with first hdc.  (30 hdc)
Switch back to green
Round 7: ch 1, hdc in each st around.  Join with first hdc.  (30 hdc)
Round 8: ch 1, rsc in each st around.  (30 rsc)
Fasten off
Attach green to the opposite edge
Round 9: ch 1, rsc in each st around.  (28 rsc)
Fasten off and weave in ends.

This is what you will have before you make and attach the eyes:

Swirls and Sprinkles: Free TMNT cup Kozie crochet pattern
Turtle cup Kozie


Eyes:
G hook
Using White (make 2)
Make magic circle
ch 2, 12 dc in circle.  Join with first dc.  (12 dc)   Fasten off.

Using your mask color (for each white circle)
H hook
Join your color to the last dc of your white circle.  ch 1, sc in each st around.  (12 sc)
You may need to do an extra sc or two to keep the eyes even.  You don't want your eyes to curl in.

F hook
Using Black (make 2)
Make magic circle
ch 1, 10 sc in magic circle.  Join with first sc.  (10 sc)  Fasten off leaving a long tail on both black circles, so you can sew them on the white circles.

Assembly
Pull your white and black circles closed tight and secure tail.
Using the tails on your black circles, sew them onto your white circles.
Sew your eyes onto the center of the colored mask.
Fasten off and weave in all ends.


4 comments:

  1. This is so cute. My daughter collects turtles and loves her cup of coffee so this is a must do project for me to make for her. Thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete