Monday, November 25, 2013

Slanted Shell Convertible Shawl

While out with the family I saw a woman wearing a gorgeous "shrug".  I noticed that it was buttoned, rather than sewn secure.  It dawned on me that the "shrug" could be worn multiple ways.  I thought about it and thought it would make a fun project to figure out. 
The stitch I used is similar to a stitch I saw on a friends baby blanket.  The stitch looks like the crosshatch stitch, or diagonal box stitch, though I did mine differently.  I just went from memory of what the stitch looked like and came up with a way to duplicate it. 
Here is a close up of the stitch:
Swirls and Sprinkles: Convertible shawl crochet pattern
Convertible Shawl

This was a lot of fun to make.   I hope you enjoy it too!

Convertible Shawl
Swirls and Sprinkles: Crochet Slanted Shell Convertible Shawl Pattern
Shawl
What you will need:
G hook
Worsted weight yarn. (4 skeins of Aurora Borealis and 1 skein of solid complementing color)
Scissors
Yarn needle
6 buttons

Ch 82
Row 1: ch 1, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across.  (81sc) Turn.
Row 2: ch 2, [3 dc, ch 5, 1 sc] all in same stitch.  *sk 3 st’s, [3 dc, ch 5, 1 sc] all in next st.* Repeat across, ending with 3 dc in last st. Turn
Row 3: ch 2, [3 dc, ch 5, 1 sc] all in same stitch. [3 dc, ch 5, 1 sc] in first ch 5 loop and each loop across.
Row 4: ch 2, [3 dc, ch 5, 1 c,] all in first ch 5 loop and each loop across.
Repeat row 4 until shawl reaches your desired length. 
After you have finished your last row of shells:
Ch 1, turn, evenly sc across 81 sc.

Fasten off and weave in ends.


For the color breaks I did 12 rows in Aurora Borealis and 5 rows of Red Heart Soft and repeated until I reached my length. 

Once you have your desired length attach the buttons on each end of the shawl on opposite sides.  Here is a quick chart to show you where I placed mine.

Swirls and Sprinkles: Convertible Shawl crochet pattern

Swirls and Sprinkles: Crochet convertible shawl pattern
Worn as a poncho
This shawl can be worn as a normal shawl, a poncho, a shrug, and any other which way you can think of!
Swirls and Sprinkles: crochet convertible shawl pattern
And worn as a shrug

No comments:

Post a Comment